Monday, November 26, 2012

Vicarious Consuming

It's really hard to be a parent at Christmas.
I don't really want a lot of stuff for myself. I'm pretty happy and content, actually.
It is this strange urge I have to buy my child the coolest toys, that I of course would have loved to have myself at his age.
Must.Buy.Toys...Books...etc...
Why does my mild snubbing of consumer culture get completely pushed to the side when it comes to shopping for my child?!
Such a strange phenomenon.
Especially when my kid is happy reading the trillions of books he already has, playing with the boxes that stuff comes in, stacking cans of food from the pantry, and running around outside.
Also, wearing plastic dollar store buckets on his head and twirling around in circles until he falls down.
Oh, my heart...

No comments: