Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Mystery Of Believing

I read My Utmost For His Highest every morning before work. Oswald Chambers is, to me, a genius at wording things in exactly the way I understand. Not only that, but many times, it is also exactly the thing I need to hear.
So this morning I read "The Mystery of Believing" from the aforementioned book, and it said this, "Many a soul begins to come to God when he flings off being religious, because there is only one Master of the human heart, and that is not religion, but Jesus Christ."

Now, I don't know if you know this about me, but I really despise being called "religious". I understand that for many non-spiritual people, that's the only word that they have in their vocabulary to describe someone like me, someone they see as a Christian, or as following a bunch of rules for no reason (depends on your viewpoint). But, like Chambers, I believe that religion is NOT the answer. Not only that, but I believe that religion slowly kills spirituality. Once I start clinging to the guidelines of my faith, but forget the reason that I am following them, I begin to become legalistic, Pharisaic, and in short, religious!

Jesus. Jesus is who I follow. Not the Pope, not any synod or governing church body (although of course I believe one should respect God-given authority to a certain extent), but only Jesus. He is the Master of my heart, as strange as that may sound. The reason I associate with being a "Christian" is because the word itself means "Christ-like", which is what I strive to be. Also, I associate myself with other Christians because as a whole we are the body of Christ, attempting to bring His love and hope to the people of this world. As a Christian, I am not "right" or "left" or "fundamental" or "liberal". I am simply a Christian. Just Jesus. That is all!

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I had some inspired words to write here and have lost them after having had a hassle logging into this system!!!!

Cassie just visited me in our home in Arizona and brought the true essence of Christ with her here. We sat and read some of the things that Christ spoke when he gave His Sermon On The Mount and related to one another about how it works for us in our daily lives.

These experiences are a pearl beyond price. To know that He has already taken care of the future and keep our eyes on today, seeking out how we can clear away the garbage that blocks us off and keep the channel open so He can work thru us is of paramount importance. This work cannot be contrived, and it takes place anywhere anytime He see's fit.

I dont know where I am going with this. Perhaps I just needed to stop by and say that I know what Cassie is speaking to here. I wrote something while she was here last week. I'll paste it below:

Cassi B.

She came into my house and filled it up with Yahtzee and Seinfeld.
I thank her for it.

She drove around in my truck and filled it up with singing and laughter.
I am happier for it.

She told me about her life and her walk with God and trusted me.
There are no words to describe how grateful to her I am for it.

Cassie, I love you with all my heart.

Kevin