Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Week in the Life - Cookie Sheets, Nuudles, Roaring Camp and more

Hey y'all! Happy Thursday to you. 

This week I tried a few new things and revisited a few old things and I'd love to share it all with you!

Pinterest Road Test - Cookie Sheet Cleaner

First up, I have been seeing in Pinterest (link here) how one can revitalize one's cookie sheets with Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking Soda and not much else. I've read so much about how you won't need to scrub, all the yuck just slides right off. Who doesn't want some of that action?! And I definitely have some yucky six-year-old cookie sheets in dire need of cleaning. 


I was pretty much too embarrassed (and forgetful) to take a "before" picture. Suffice to say, it was bad. It really, really needed to be cleaned. 

CLAIM: From what I read, all one had to do was pour some hydrogen peroxide into a container and add enough baking soda to make a nice, thick paste. Then you smear that business all over your cookie sheet and just leave it for awhile. By the time you come back, you won't even have to scrub, just wipe it off and off comes the grime!!

Reality: I've got to call bogus on this one. I did the thick paste thing and left it for HOURS when I went to work. I came home and not even the paste will wipe off...it has hardened to a crust on my already crusty pan. LOL. 

NEW CLAIM: So then I read that you can do a layer of baking soda sprinkles, sprinkle some hydrogen peroxide, then another layer of baking soda. Leave THAT and your troubles are over. 

Reality: This definitely worked better. As you can see, I really went for it with the layers. However, it didn't "wipe" right off, as claimed. I used steel wool. So, I'm gonna have to debunk this one until someone tells me what I did wrong! Or maybe there's just no way in heck you can get around a little elbow grease when the yuck has reached a certain point. Duly noted.

If you can believe it, YES, this is the "after" photo. And YES, this is a pretty good improvement. Yikes. 

Product I Love - Magic Nuudles


OK, on to the next adventure. I'd like to share with you a little product that is so simple yet so awesome. I actually came across it years ago back when I was a Gymboree Play & Music teacher. I taught art classes (among many) and part of the curriculum was a product called Magic Nuudles

If you can kind of see from my not-so-great action photo, they kind of look like colorful packing peanuts, and indeed the texture is similar. They're brilliant in their simplicity...all it takes is a teensy bit of water and they stick together and you can create all sorts of marvelous things. As my kiddo is only three years old and not overly artistically inclined yet, his creations are mostly lines and circles. But the real magic for him is using a little paint brush with water to make them stick together just how he wants them. He plays with them probably for about twenty minutes to a half-hour at a time, which is a great stretch of time for mama! =)

(He's also modeling one of my Noonday Collection necklaces in this photo. HA! This is a wonderful company that I hope to review for you soon!)

Adventure Time - Roaring Camp Railroads, Santa Cruz, CA



I've got to apologize for the photo quality on these...I was trying to look after two 3 year old boys (both potty training) at a new location while pregnant, and snap photos at the same time. HA!

Roaring Camp Railroads in Felton, CA is a magical place from my childhood. I wish I could dig up some old photos to share with you, but be assured that over twenty years ago, this place was just as charming and frozen in time as it is today!

It's basically an old-timey Western village with a covered bridge, a pond, a General Store, a little schoolhouse, and of course, TRAINS!! These are steam locomotives that take you through the beautiful redwoods of the Santa Cruz Mountains or down to the beach in Santa Cruz. They have gold panning, an old-time photo studio, candle-making, black-smithing...all the cool kinds of stuff you imagine from Little House on the Prairie or Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman episodes (c'mon, who remembers?!?)

The trains are a little investment to ride, especially if you have a family of more than two. But as a special trip, it's so worth it, especially if your kids are train lovers! And really, what kid doesn't love a good train ride?

If you live in Northern California, this day trip is worth whatever drive you gotta take! 

What's Up With Us?


25 weeks and 5 days - anniversary bump!
August 10th, 2008 and August 10th, 2014. Six years, two kids, many moves and lots life later...still liking this guy quite a bit. =) Happy anniversary to us!
Until next time, y'all!





No comments: