Saturday, November 24, 2012

Little Things vs Small Stuff

"It's the little things..."
"Don't sweat the small stuff!"

I find this juxtaposition a little funny! We're supposed to look around, pay attention and be ever grateful for the "little things" that make life worth living. Then again, we're told not to sweat the "small stuff", and apparently, it's all small stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the difference.

The little things are exactly what make everyday, mundane life so special: my son learning to make car noises with his toys or learning to spin around and make himself dizzy; my husband making breakfast for us every weekend; small kisses throughout the day from both him and my baby boy; church family; great California weather; the atmosphere of the impending holiday season. Little things.

Small stuff is just that: stuff. Will this "thing" that seems so big and stressful to me in this moment matter to anyone in 5 years? 10 years? At any point down the road? Probably not. So I shouldn't sweat this stuff and make a big deal out of things that really don't matter.

The interesting part is differentiating between what little things really will matter, and what the small stuff is there to teach me. That is the game of life, I suppose.

For the moment, I am simply thankful. Grateful for the little boy sleeping in the living room of our little one bedroom Victorian walk-up. Contented with the sound of my husband typing away nearby on his sermon for tomorrow. Smiling at the thought that I (God willing) get to rise tomorrow and worship my Creator another day.

Little things. Small stuff.

Life.





No comments: