Thursday, November 08, 2012

Something New.

Dwell Christian Church - Willow Glen location at Minnesota and Hicks




For those who may not have heard, I am starting a new "position", if you will, with my church. I am now the Worship Lead for Dwell Christian Church's Willow Glen location! I officially started in November...that is, now. This week will be my first week leading in this capacity on Sunday. 

I was very wary of taking this on for a few reasons. 

Firstly, I used to be very bossy and "leader-y" in my youth (yes, okay, my younger youth), but I've very much chilled out. I'm content to take a back seat and be used where I can be most helpful. I'm perfectly happy for someone else to take the reins and lead while I follow. In fact, I shy away from obvious leadership when possible.

Secondly, I feel very rusty and out of the loop when it comes to music. Yes, I have a degree in it. Yes, I studied pretty much nothing else at college. Sure, I can still read music and all that, but it is a language that I haven't spoken fluently in so long, I feel like I am a foreigner. I hate to lead something in which I feel not entirely comfortable. 

Thirdly, I am young. There are some older, wiser, and MUCH more talented musicians on the team than myself, and "bossing" them around just seems strange to me. Wrong, even. 

However, I am reminded of 1 Timothy 4:12, where the apostle Paul tells a young pastor Timothy, 

"Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity."

I know that our God is always using the weak ones, the ones who will have to rely on Him the most to actually get the job done. I feel like this really MUST be me. I feel so silly and awkward and weird sometimes. There is no way that I, of my own strength, could accomplish anything of worth in this capacity. But with God, all things are possible. 

It helps tremendously to have the support of both leaders in the church as well as a wonderful team of co-worshippers right by my side. I, quite literally, could not do it without them, either. You guys rock! 



No comments: