Friday, November 02, 2012

Something More

Today Chris and I and quite a few of our Converge PacWest brethren had the enormous pleasure and privilege to hear Francis Chan speak to us about making disciples.

As the discipleship pastor and his wife, Chris and I in particular were really ready to hear and to take notes on what this amazing pastor had to say.

I don't know if we were quite ready, or if anyone really is ever ready, to hear what Pastor Chan actually did say.

Let me preface with a bit of honesty: I've been struggling from time to time with my calling in the church, what it means to be the wife of a pastor and to be a worship leader myself, struggling with quiet times with God (I have a toddler...very little of my time is quiet!) and in the Word. Sometimes I feel like I really "get it", the whole of the Christian life...and sometimes I feel like any regular ol' chick who is angry and cusses when she gets mad and doesn't truly love anyone and is just generally full of sin. I find myself even on my best days wondering if there is something about the Christian life that I am missing, knowing that there are a million things I could be doing better to the glory of God.

Now, I don't necessarily want to get all preachy on you, or try to rehash a whole two hours of teaching into one pithy blog post. But I did get my eyes opened (or re-opened, maybe) to a hint of what I am missing. DISCIPLESHIP (take a quick look at that link to get the encapsulated version of what Chan spoke to us about)! How can the wife of the discipleship pastor not truly understand what discipleship is or what it looks like? Good question, but I'm sure it has little to do with my husband's teaching ability and much more to do with my ignorance.

At any rate, I feel rejuvenated! I have been made to remember why we are doing any of this ministry/church-planting/pastoring/worshipping stuff in the first place. In the first place, because God is worthy to be praised and obeyed. In the second place, because he called us to go.

Matthew 28:18-20 - "And Jesus came and said to them, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.'"


No comments: