Thursday, February 13, 2014

Strength and Weakness

Describe 5 strengths and weaknesses you have.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to describe 5 strengths and 5 weaknesses or just a mix of 5...the first sounds pretty exhausting so I will go with the latter.

Now, to get a real objective opinion about this, you could ask your dad or Auntie Sam or Yaya or someone. This is just my opinion! 

1. STRENGTH - Faith
I truly believe that God has gifted me with strong faith. I might sin, and whine and rage and complain, but I never actually stop strongly believing that God will have the last say in everything and that everything He says is good.

2. WEAKNESS - Pride
This one just creeps in there where I least want it or expect it sometimes. But a lot of time it is blatant. This is sometimes hard to see as a weakness because in our culture some pride is still okay and we call it competence or confidence or any other of a list of virtues where it can hide. The opposite of pride is humility, which is rare to see done well but you can find it around Dwell if you look!

3. WEAKNESS - Impatience
This is the one you'll notice this most in your mama because you will probably bear the brunt of it. I'm sorry to say that my patience with you, my baby, where it should be strongest is probably weakest. I will be constantly apologizing for snapping at you to hurry up or that you're not doing something quite right. It's something that I am asking God to change in me and you get to be someone who holds me accountable!

4. WEAKNESS/STRENGTH - Assuming the Best in People
Sometimes this is grace and other times it is just blindness or naïveté. When I asked your dad to name a weakness I had, he said this one and I asked if it was a weakness or strength and I'm sure we could have argued at length for either side. This is just one of those things that I inherited from your Papa John, for better or for worse.

5. STRENGTH - Sense of Humor
This one comes from both parents and I'm so thankful for it. Laughing at situations is a huge blessing because while there are certain aspects of life to take truly seriously (such as justice, sin and salvation), most everything else falls into the "we can laugh about this at some point" category, which helps me a little bit with my pride sometimes and simply serves to make life more fun!!


I'm sure we could find many more weaknesses and I hope at least a few more strengths, but I'll stop there for today. ;) 

No comments: